Saturday, March 27, 2010

I found my Maya Temple in Los Angeles!

I spent this past summer in Belize with an archeology field school excavating Maya ruins...it still feels really good to say (or type) that. But it's the truth! Maybe someday I'll make a post (or several) highlighting my adventures. For now I'll just tell you about a revelation I had while climbing to the top of an ancient temple. Of course I was caught up in the magic of it all: climbing the same steps that Maya kings and elites had climbed thousands of years ago, taking in the jungle that surrounded me on every side, etc. But amidst all of these transcendent thoughts I had a superficial one: climbing this temple is the best workout I've ever had. Those giant steps made my legs burn worse than Richard Simmons ever dreamed possible. And nothing was more motivating to keep going than the awaiting view at the top. It made me wish that there were Maya temples in Los Angeles because climbing them would be a helluva lot more gratifying than going to the gym. Well...I've found the closest thing. The Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. The overlook has a museum/visitor center and a garden at the top and the view is amazing. You can drive to the top or take a trail, but the stairs are what it's all about for me. They are like temple stairs in that they are steep and tall. The hiking trail that leads to the top crosses the stairs at several points, so you can make your own combination of stairs and trail to the top or back down to the bottom. Personally, I take the stairs to the top and then take the trail back down to the bottom.

I'm sure the Santa Monica stairs are great - I've never done them - but these are much less pretentious, less crowded, and the other hikers are very friendly. Good luck!!

The overlook is located in Culver City on Jefferson Blvd. and Hetzler Rd.









1 comment:

ploo said...

Thanks for the post Melody! Where do those stairs start?